Opengate Institute is the advocate for Sandtray Therapy in Australia
Opengate Institute was established in 2018 as the Advocate for Sandtray Therapy in Australia. We welcome and support the training of current and emerging students and offer supervision, ongoing CPD/OPD and peer support. Opengate Institute has developed training courses, personal development and workshops working closely with our industry advisory committee. We are the only training organisation in Australia to offer training in all the different sand techniques including Sandtray, Sandplay Therapy and Sandtray Play Work. These members represent Counselling, Psychotherapy, Education, Social Work, Psychology, Indigenous, Youth Work and Disabilities. Members currently work in their areas of expertise, including research, professional practice, teaching, training and advocacy.
Opengate Institute seeks to unite the Sandtray Therapy industry and therapists current and emerging who serve in this area following the research and training developed by Dr Margaret Lowenfeld (1928). Training is aimed at registered counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, social workers, mental health workers, youth workers, community workers and educators. Those who seek recognition of their skills and abilities using all the methods of sand in an educational or therapeutic manner can gain recognition of their skills and do further training to meet the ethics and standards of their governing associations and the frameworks, guidelines implemented by Sandtray Institute Australia.
Opengate Institute and Sandtray Therapy Australia work together to independently maintain ethical standards in their training. They work closely with industry associations adhering to ethical standards and procedures as set out by national registers, which protects the public and community interests. All Sand practitioners will need to meet ongoing Professional Development requirements and practice within the ethical guidelines of the profession in order to retain their professional requirements.
Our cottage is located on the grounds of the beautiful University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury campus, Richmond. There is parking (paid), cafes, library, gym and access to transport.
Accommodation: cottages are in the grounds of UWS link to website for short term accommodation bookings – short stays https://www.mystudentvillage.com/au/westernsydneyuv/hawkesbury/short-stays/
Bookings can also be made via third party websites if you type Western Sydney University Village Hawkesbury into google. Any direct short stay bookings or questions can be directed to email@example.com or by phoning 02 8024 6050
(Opengate Institute is not able to help with accommodation support)
Training Courses, Workshops and Sandtray Supervision
Sandtray Therapy – Specialist Sandtray Practitioner Training
- Implementation of resources required to set up as a Sandtray Therapist in practice
- Ethical understanding when using Sandtray in diverse settings with diverse clients and client issues
- Foundations of Sandtray practice and theories that support this method including Morals, Values and own sense of Self as therapist
- Understanding metaphors, images and symbols and how to read a sand world
- Skills in questioning, challenging and focusing the narrative using Sandtray
- Applying current practitioner skills to Sandtray therapy methodology
- Apply practical application for sensory awareness, own and others
- Application of techniques working with different ages of clients
- Develop awareness of stages of development as seen in the sand worlds
- Confidentiality, writing case notes using Sandtray terminology
- Applying photos of sand worlds to integrate into the client’s treatment plan, confidentiality, storage and agreement forms
- Learning cultural sensitivity and strategies to responding to the sandtray miniatures that representing cultures
- Working with Group dynamics and the seen and unseen aspects of sand worlds and group interaction and learning to observe, report and monitor group
- Understanding of the importance of supervision and how to write case notes with photo series as a supervisee
- Using Sandtray Therapy as a Self-healing and Self-monitoring process
- Understanding the significant role of the therapist and personal process work
Hurry this module is discounted 50% if students book and pay before 27th September.
Introduction to Sandtray Therapy Theories and Application
Hurry this workshop is discounted 50% if students book and pay before 27th September.
Sandtray Play Work – Training for Teachers, Educators and School Counsellors
International Jungian Sandplay Therapy - Practitioner Training Session 1 & 2
For mental health practitioners who want to follow a more Jungian based approach to their practice. This course is taught by International trainers. The training will be in two sessions, with first training 7 days duration and second training over 8 days in 2020. Completion of the this training will give you International Accreditation.
Fiona Werle is a qualified Supervisor and available for Sandtray supervision
$90 per supervision - 1 hour
Contact 0412 534 690